Saturday, January 2, 2016

Reconnecting feels so good

I have a friend who I've been estranged from for over four years.  Ours was a strong bond and she really set me on a path to success within a certain network. We "separated" for political reasons -- something she didn't understand and I couldn't communicate to her because of the emotional fog.  I wanted to reach out to her but too much hurt had occurred and I felt it would be better if she did.  In that four years, she'd endured many challenges -- all I witnessed from my safe perch. About two weeks ago, I got a call…looked on the caller ID -- it was HER!  Carefully, I answered. She was direct: "It's time to talk!"

I knew it would be hard but I scheduled lunch. I got there early -- with flowers -- and arranged to pay the meal upfront so that awkwardness of reaching for the check would not occur.

She's been through a lot and I got some clarity on what led to her troubles.  Some of it was self inflicted and some the result of a climate of hate, jealousy, and a scary resolve to GET HER BACK for a slight.

We talked frankly, honestly and brutally -- at times.  It was cathartic and I held my position.  I don't think she understood but, somewhere, I think there was a glimmer that she 'got' why I did what I did.  Eventually, the power of the friendship we had took over. We found some common ground and agreed on what we could.

In the end, we hugged and the bond is being -- slowly -- repaired.  In 2016, I hope to restore and build on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment