Friday, September 29, 2017

The value of being accommodating

I recently discovered I have pre-diabetes.  Eager to get in front of this, with the hope of de-escalating it,  I searched for nutritionists.  I finally settled on a woman whose credentials I liked and who, like me, is African American.

We had a wonderful initial conversation and I told her I'd like to see her.

Then, she went me a long series of questions and conditions I'd have to agree to.  And, the topper is that I had to provide my credit card in the event I was a "no show."

The questions and surrendering my credit card were deal killers for me and I made that clear to her.  We went back and forth with the rationale but I held fast.  I found the questions offensive and providing a credit card upfront is to assume I would be flaky and I'm not.

Finally, she relented and relaxed those requirements.  Whether it's because she needed business, or for some other reason, I appreciated the accommodation.

And, we sealed the relationship.  I look forward to being her patient/client because she is flexible, has business acumen and was willing to trust.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment