Monday, March 20, 2017

Why I travel alone...

Folks always ask me: "Why do you travel alone?"  They think I'm missing out on companionship and fear for my safety.

But, traveling alone has opened up so many opportunities.  I've met people I would have never met.  I've explored haunts I'd have never explored.  I've experienced adventures I'd never would have if I'd been traveling with someone.

I'm quirky.  I'm free spirited. I'm out of the ordinary.

I explored the caves of Rio Secreto near Playa del Carmen -- alone -- and had a BALL!

While at the Grand Canyon, I met two wonderful women -- one a professor at Harvard -- who are lifelong friends.  I ended up visiting them in Martha's Vineyard.  I'd have never met them had I been with a companion.

While on the Chicago Architecture Tour, alone, I met two wonderful women who helped make the trip joyful and memorable.

I went to Cuba alone and had a wonderful time getting to know Havana.

My solo travels began when I wanted to see Red Prysock in Gary, Indiana.  My boyfriend at the time thought Gary was too far away.  So, he passed.  Then, my best friend, at the time, agreed to go...but backed out at the last minute.

Pondering my options, I opted to go ANYWAY.

I had the best time.  I met Red, partied with them, and they brought me up front so I'd have a better view of the action.

I ended up staying until wee hours of the morning.  But I smiled the whole time.

And that is when I started my solo treks.

I could write forever about my adventures.  But, suffice it to say, going alone is not for the meek but if you can get past your fears, you will be fulfilled beyond fulfillment.

I've had friends who want to join me on my trips.  I always find a way to slither out.

The last time I went with friends was a disaster.  I was in Miami during Orange Bowl time.  My boyfriend, at the time, wanted to stay in the hotel and cuddle.  HUH?  I left him in the hotel and explored the city, making new friends and recording new adventures.

When I got back, he had an attitude and I left early for home.

When it comes to my vacays, I don't want to compromise.  I want to do what I do...I want to do me!

No comments:

Post a Comment