Monday, October 29, 2012

Trying to stay above the rudeness

Recently, I gave a presentation and the client was rude during it...flailing her arms wildly and interrupting and reminding me of the time.  I had five minutes and :30 seconds into it, she was tapping her watch with exasperation.

I did my best to stay composed and on message but I failed.

That was a bad experience and I was totally embarrassed.  I was gracious but made to look bad in front of those I love and respect.

I was told that, in the future, ignore this rudeness and keep it movin.  My Toastmasters Club said they will wave their arms, talk over me and be rude the next time I give a speech so I can exhibit discipline and keep the speech movin'.

Rudeness comes in many forms and I was chastened that one time.  But not again.  Another life lesson learned and another strategy to deploy if it happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment