Monday, November 2, 2020

If you're a victim of a crime, you're on your own

I was recently a victim of a crime.  I went out to my car at the wee hours to retrieve something. When I noticed the light was flashing because a door was opened, I discovered a man sleeping in my car.

I screamed, ran into the house and called the police. By the time they got there, he was gone.  But, in his haste to get away, he left his cell phone. That was the clue that got him arrested.

He is a 29-year-old long-time criminal with a long rap sheet and a reputation in the area that makes him well known to the police.  I shuddered thinking that I could have been killed since it was only the two of us. 

But, this new trend to give the thugs a break extended to this case. When I went to court, he was a no-show. When I asked the State's Attorney what would happen, she was lackadaisical. It was a minor crime and he'd probably get court supervision,  I pointed out that he has a long rap sheet and needs to be put away.

The answer was a yawn.

Somewhere in the middle of that conversation, I realized that when it comes to criminals getting time for their crimes, those entrusted -- and elected -- to keep me safe are not going to watch out for citizens. You're on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment