Monday, December 19, 2016

Loss of someone I knew but didn't know

Today, I learned of the death of Stanley Abernathy.  He was a high school classmate and one of the most talented and coolest classmates ever!

I admired him from afar and had a crush on him since forever.  His talent as a trumpet player only made him more alluring.  Through the years, he made it as an entertainer with a band that did so well that he lived in a posh section of Nashville.

A few years ago, there was a high school reunion and he was there.  I lit up when I saw him. We chatted briefly and I felt there was a connection because unlike so many of our classmates, we'd done well after high school.  There was that common bond there.

He was a Facebook friend and I followed him...but not regularly.

So, today I went back to his FB page and saw that he'd spent the last few months in a bad place.  His illness was chronicled. His pain was apparent.  His death was imminent.

He'd stopped performing.  He'd moved back to Chicago sensing that his days were numbered and he wanted to be with family.

And it happened.  He died.

StanleyAbernathy, I hardly knew you but I admired you for the Renaissance man you are and for your passion and for being a trendsetter.

I will be at the services to say goodbye.

I'll miss you.




No comments:

Post a Comment