Monday, October 17, 2011

Take a breath

Recently, I met with a client to open an account at a bank where I'm pitching for business. She was completely "discombobulated" and had lost the papers I sent her that we were to sign. I was completely exasperated. Rather than roll my eyes, sigh or exhibit any type of disgust with this "carelessness," I did a mental count to ten and said: "It's all right. I will retrieve a new document and get it to you. When would you like to meet again?"

She seemed totally relieved that I didn't go "off" but remained professional and pleasant. I was looking at the long-term business prospects rather than the short term laxness on her part.

Did I mention that the drive was long to get to her and it was a beautiful day. Now I can sigh and roll my eyes...but not in front of her. Perhaps my generous spirit will reap some rewards. If not, I was able to exercise restraint and patience and that is a personal reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment