Monday, October 10, 2016

When a "friend" is "unfriended"

For over two years, I've deepened a friendship with a woman I met on Facebook.  Her spirit is so sweet, her messages so vibrant and the connection is genuine...or so I thought.

When she wrote a book, I purchased it.

When she was a guest on a radio show, I listened.

When she asked for birthday greetings for her sons (I don't like those types of messages) I joined in the chorus.

Recently, I decided to move the friendship off Facebook.  I invited her to my annual dinner party.

She RSVPd and I couldn't wait to see her in person.

So, I eagerly awaited the day.

She never showed.  I never heard from her.

So, I sent her a message via FB.

Guess what!  She'd forgotten.

How disillusioning to discover that someone whose FB friendship you cherished, did not feel the same way.

She apologized profusely and asked to take me to lunch or for a drink.

I won't go.

While I didn't unfriend on FB, in my heart and spirt, I'd ended the friendship.

Why?

Because she is not as authentic in real time as she is on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment