Monday, March 1, 2021

Some lemons can't be turned into lemonade

I bought a used 2017 Mitsubishi in August 2020 that had logged only 17,000 miles.  I was super happy to get what I thought was a dream deal.  Plus, my trusted mechanic sold it to me so I didn't think I'd have any problems.  And, if I did, he'd fix it...pronto and for no charge!

But it has been a nightmare.

Soon after I got it, the car began to shake.  I took it back and they "fixed" it.  Then the annoying signal "Service Engine Soon" kept flashing.  Again, I took it back.  They fixed it to the point where the signal stopped.  But a few days later, both the shaking and the signal continued.  

So, I took it back -- AGAIN!  The warning light was off and the shaking stopped.

Three days later, everything was on: The flashing warning light and the shaking.

This time, I took it to another shop, which has a diagnostic device..  They diagnosed it as a carbon build up.

The cost: $1200.

I got it back and everything was beautiful -- for a month.

Then Saturday, the warning light about the engine began flashing again.  I called the new place and they said to bring it back for another diagnostic review.

Yesterday, I was shopping and when I started to go to the next stop, the car wouldn't fire.  I prayed that I wouldn't have to call AAA but after 15 minutes, I got it connected and drove it straight home.

I was talking to my boyfriend and he used the "L" word to describe it:  As in a Lemon.

I wrote my accountant for advice on how to max out the tax advantages on this car because I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money if this car is a lemon.

And, I'll cut my losses if it's determined that this car is a lemon that can't be turned into lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment