Monday, July 1, 2019

Just like Forrest Gump

When I first traveled to the Grand Canyon, I was totally blown away by its grandeur, majesty and the fact that it was God's creation.

I stood on the South Rim in total awe.

From that point on, I started going there every year.  I went by bus, plane and helicopter.  I stayed at the iconic El Tovar and at other hotels in the rim's area. 

I gazed as the sun set and the Canyon went totally black.  Then, I grabbed clothes and ran out to see the sun rise over the Canyon.

It is a sight that is etched in my memory.

I met two women on the Rim --one a professor at Harvard and another at graphic designer for the State of Rhode Island. We became such good friends that I visited them in Boston and we went to Martha's Vineyard for the weekend.

I went to the West Rim and donned footies to walk the glass enclosed walkway.

And, just recently, I went to the North Rim...with its rugged terrain.  

But I made it.

Suddenly, I decided that after 14 years, I'm not going back.  I feel like Forrest Gump who jogged all over the world and, one day, decided to stop.

That's where I am.

I have a wonderful bank of memories that I will always cherish.  But, as I age and my time on earth gets more narrow, it's time to see other wonders and bask on the memories of the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment